[SC.LUG] ISPs

Ian Molton sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Aug 11 00:26:01 2003

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:34:30 -0000
"Martyn Kinder" <martyn@czd.org.uk> wrote:

> I like your Dragons....
>
> ref Radio Telescope,
>
> I already have the basis of Radio Telescope, but am tempted to go down
> the 22GHz route as I already have two 22GHz receivers (from a
> satellite downlink station). I plan to build a short baseline
> interferometer on a E-W azis and beamed South but with full
> declination control. Keeping the baseline short and using common local
> oscillators means that I won't have any phase errors to worry about.

How are you going to mix the feeds from the dishes?

One thought I had (and Im no RF engineer so feel free to tell me why it
wouldnt work) was to, rather than mix the 10GHz feeds from the dishes as
described on my site, feed a 10GHz signal down a cable split in a Y to
both dishes by equal lengths of coax. that way I would (I hope) have two
*in phase* down-converted feeds from the dishes, which I could mix in a
more civilised manner than just shorting the coax centrally...

One advantage of the 10GHz band is that the dishes can be scrounged off
the sides of houses ;-)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with
ketchup.