[SC.LUG] Dual Boot Machines

Neil Lucock sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 12 20:40:01 2003

On Thursday 10 Jan 1980 7:10 pm, Matthew Tolley wrote:
> Hi guys,
>

> Another question for you -
>
> I've seen dual-boot machines where LILO gives you the option of booting
> Windows or Linux, for example.
>
> Would it be possible to run a dual-boot with two different versions of
> Linux, or even a tri-boot machine with, say, Mandrake Linux, Lindows and
> Red Hat??

LILO sniffs around your hard drive and shows you what it has found. Grub do=
es=20
the same (although I had to write the configuration to get it to boot a Win=
=20
2K partition myself. It's not difficult.)=20
Why would you want to run different versions of Linux on one machine? Is it=
=20
just to have a look at each one? Cheep Linux does a deal where they sell yo=
u=20
a package with different distributions (Mandrake, "Pink Tie" =3D Red Hat,=20
Debian and a few other bits so you can find out what you prefer. Costs abou=
t=20
=A330, but it's cheaper than buying each set on its own.=20
I've used Mandrake for a few years, but the latest Red Hat (Shrike) is wort=
h=20
having (but it didn't configure the mouse and dumped me in KDE mouseless. B=
e=20
prepared to tinker to get it right). I've not used Lindows.
Neil