jon.d@c2internet.net - Email found in subject - Re: jon.d@c2i nternet.net - Email found in subject - Re: jon.d@c2i nternet.net - Email found in subject - Re: [SC.LUG] RE: jon.d@c2internet .net - Email found in subject - RE: [SC.LUG] ISPs

Neil Lucock sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 19:39:01 2003

On Thursday 14 Aug 2003 1:46 pm, Matthew Tolley wrote:
> Personally, I'm a big believer in prosperity for everyone.
>
> What do I mean?
------snip----
I agree with what you say, it's a good outlook. It does sound like you've been
reading a few too many American self-help books, though. If it's really you
speaking, ever thought of doing the "insprational speaker" trip?

For an interesting discussion of "quality", read Zen and the art of mororcycle
maintenance by Robert Parsig. The only fault I found with it was when he was
discussing adjusting the drive chain on a BMW. They were all shaft drive at
that time. Fraud causes you to lose confidence in what is said.

One problem;  the idea of quality implies discerning between different things
as to their "fitness for purpose". This requires extended experiences or
understanding  (of mobile phones or cars or carpets)  which your landlady has
probably not had the means to acquire, either because of her finances,
friends, culture  or circumstances. You criticise her for who she is, but
that's a result of her life up to now.
Good company and intelligent discussion breeds learned culture (your mistakes
are challenged and corrected by your associates) . If you are not already
part of it, it's hard to get into such a culture.

Of course, she might just be a miserable old trout.....

Just a few thoughts
Neil