[SC.LUG] America

David Holden sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Aug 18 13:35:01 2003

On Monday 18 Aug 2003 11:55 am, Matthew Tolley wrote:
> I don't like Christian Fundamentalism, Muslim Fundamentalism, Political
> Correctness, the totalitarian pretensions of the EU Commisson and a bunch
> of other stuff I see on the news, but I don't say things like "I don't like
> America". It's a bit like saying "I don't like Borneo" - it includes its
> landscape, people, culture etc etc - everything. It's a very sweeping
> statement to make and I suspect it wasn't meant literally.
>
> Bit of a radical statement to make about patents. I don't see how they
> could stifle innovation - quite the opposite. Do you have hard evidence, or
> is it just a theory?

Patents can stifle innovation because of incompetent patent office. This is a
particular problem with software. Because patent offices have neither the
expertise or resources to establish if an applied for patent is new and
innovative leading them tp routinely give out silly patents. The result is
that large multinationals who can afford to try and patent anything and
everything create large patent libaries which they then use/abuse against
small (innovative) software companies who cannot afford to fight a patent
infringment claim.

A good part of the problem is that patents office get paid for the patents
they grant, when in fact it would be much better to pay them for those they
reject, thus giving them a much greater incentive to establish prior art.

 Dave.