[SC.LUG] Sorted - Thanks

Richard Pineger sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 20 13:53:01 2003

Hi all,

thanks for the help you gave me when I introduced myself last week. =
Things
have come on a pace since then. I ordered Knoppix and tried it out - =
v.good,
configured beautifully and recognised everything on my old laptop. A =
friend
sold me an Pentium 3, 800MHz PC for =A360, unfortunately it had Windoze =
98 on
it. I was going to shell out for Lindows, then, through the
http://www.distrowatch.com website, I found a page that told me how to
install Knoppix to the hard drive... it worked perfectly and completely
wiped 98 with consumate ease (I wanted it to, there is a dual boot =
option
but I didn't take time to understand it).

I was even more pleased to learn that Knoppix is based on Debian so now =
can get updates etc from Debian as soon as I've a telephone cable long
enough!

Once again, thanks for encouraging me. I'm sure I'll be back with
questions...such as:

When you access the "boot prompt"(?) using CTRL+ALT+F1 or the other one
using CTRL+ALT+F2, how do you go back to KDE? I've ended up just =
switching
off the machine.

Anyway, as a next step, I'm off to get a book on Linux from the public
library.

Thanks again,
Rich