[SC.LUG] Re: Sorted - Thanks

Richard Smedley sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 20 14:26:01 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 14:11, Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 01:51:55PM +0100, Richard Pineger wrote:
> > When you access the "boot prompt"(?)

Hello Richard,

You will normally find this referred to as the ``shell'',
command-line (CLI) or terminal interface. It is here that
you enter shell commands - eg `ls' to list the contents
of the current directory.

The Graphical interface (GUI) that you see (KDE in your case,
though there are dozens of other choices) sits on top of
this, and allows you to run more graphical programs, but is not
an essential part of Unix. There are many programs that run without
a GUI.

At the command line prompt (or open an Xterm or Konsole from
KDE) type cribbage (and ENTER). If you have the BSD-games
package installed you'll now be able to play cribbage in
glorious ASCII :-)

> using CTRL+ALT+F1 or the other one
> > using CTRL+ALT+F2, how do you go back to KDE? I've ended up just switching
> > off the machine.
>
> ALT+F3, I think, for Knoppix.

It's Alt-F6 on Morphix's version of Knoppix btw

 - Richard

PS if you want to shutdown from the command line,
without going back to KDE, login as root and type
``halt''

--
Richard Smedley
Production Editor, LinuxUser & Developer

T: +44 (0)1625 855084, F: +44 (0)1625 855071
richard.smedley@linuxuser.co.uk

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/
The GNU/Linux magazine for IT decision makers

     ``The public have an insatiable curiosity to know everything.
     Except what is worth knowing. Journalism, conscious of this,
     and having tradesman-like habits, supplies their demands.''
                                                       -- Oscar Wilde

This email message may contain privileged or confidential information. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of action in reliance on the contents of this electronic information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify postmaster@livepublishing.co.uk immediately via reply email. Any personal content in this email is that of the individual author and should not be interpreted as being endorsed by the company in whole or in part. Whilst care is taken, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is free from virus infection, and no responsibility is accepted by Live Publishing Group for any disruption, loss or damage arising from its receipt or use.