[SC.LUG] Patents [was RE: America]

Richard Smedley sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 23 11:30:17 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 15:36, Matthew Tolley wrote:
> Historically, people patent something, THEN make money from their
> invention - a really great example being Microsoft. DOS was patented when
> Bill Gates et al had no money, so I don't see how you can claim patents are
> only produced by people with money.

DOS wasn't patented by MS after they bought
it (and they did have enough credit to buy
it outright). Like all software it is protected
by copyright, and with this protection it was
licensed to IBM for their shiny new PC.

Incidentally, MS hold a number of patents,
but use them mostly for defensive purposes.
It is only in the very recent past that they
have started using them to suppport their
monopoly position.

> It's thanks to patents that we have
> electricity (courtesy of Thomas Edison, who was broke at the time). I'll
> check out the links but I'm deeply unconvinced so far.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of patents as
applied to inventions in the traditional sphere
of the physical world, software resides in a
separate category.

Software is immensely complex - it is possible
for one programmer to generate a million lines
of code for a program. This code will cover
/hundreds/ of algorithms, most (or all) of
which are obvious in some way.

If each algorith is patented, the software cannot
be produced, regardless of how innovative the
/implementation/ of the algorithms is in the
new program. Only companies the size of IBM
- who hold thousands of software patents in the US
and Japan - have the muscle to force other patent
holders into cross-licensing deals (worth
/billions/ of dollars each year to IBM). Small
companies and individuals stand no chance.

Software (FLOSS or proprietary) is more than
adequately protected by copyright - applied
over virtually the whole world, under the
Berne convention. Patents for software have
no advantage, and will have a disastrous
effect on software development in Europe.

:-(

Has anyone had any joy in communicating
with their MEP on this?

Richard Smedley
Production Editor, LinuxUser & Developer

T: +44 (0)1625 855084, F: +44 (0)1625 855071
richard.smedley@linuxuser.co.uk

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/
The GNU/Linux magazine for IT decision makers

     ``In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French;
       I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their
       language.''                       Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

This email message may contain privileged or confidential information. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of action in reliance on the contents of this electronic information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify postmaster@livepublishing.co.uk immediately via reply email. Any personal content in this email is that of the individual author and should not be interpreted as being endorsed by the company in whole or in part. Whilst care is taken, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that this email is free from virus infection, and no responsibility is accepted by Live Publishing Group for any disruption, loss or damage arising from its receipt or use.