[SC.LUG] Warning: SOBIG Virus

Frank Mitchell sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Aug 25 18:33:34 2003

After updating my Antivirus Software I discovered I had the SOBIG Virus. I
was puzzled because this virus is supposed to travel in Email Attachments. I
don't usually open Email Attachments, because the Anti-Spam Software used by
my ISP sends alot of Spam in Attachment form.

But I do remember some puzzling Attachments which I did occasionally open.
These appeared to be duplicate versions of LUG Emails, sent in Attachment
form. There was no point in opening these, because the same messages arrived
in the usual way. Clearly this phenomenon should be investigated.

The SOBIG Virus occurred in a single file: C:\WINDOWS\WINSSK32.EXE. My
Anti-Spam deleted this file, and it did not reappear when I reinstalled
Windows Me. So watch out for WINSSK32.EXE if you need to use Windows.

Faictz ce que vouldras: Frank Mitchell