[SC.LUG] Re: posting to Linux mail list

Jason Lucas jason at industrialarchaeology.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 04:01:25 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 18:30, Rick [Kitty5] wrote:
> Jason Lucas wrote:
> > 1. I really want to spend lots and lots of my hard earned cash on
> > expensive, buggy products over which I have absolutely no control.
>
> I want to spend hours fiddling with buggy products and badly written
> documentation over which nobody has any real control.
I see that you've had plenty of experience with Microsoft.

> > 2. I really want to employ someone to manage my EULA's.
>
> I *really* want to employ somebody to RTFM for me.
How much are you paying?

> > 3. I would love my computer to crash at least 5 times a day.
>
> I would love to spend all day reminiscing about 1995 to.
And I'd love to spend all day discussing philosophy, quantum physics,
chaos-complexity theory and Marx, but I'm stuck pishing on a newsgroup.

> > 4. I want to pay for frequent bug-fixes (er... sorry, upgrades)
>
> I want to be on a never ending treadmill of free upgrades that I don't
> really have a choice about using and might knacker everything (until the
> next upgrade comes out, usually 24 hours later). Hell I want upgrades that
> force me to upgrade everything, running as fast as I can just to keep still.
> Buy an abacus.

> > 5. I want to reduce the life span of my business computers to just
> > over 12 months.
>
> Damn those games and their ever increasing demands - I want a new business
> computer every 12 months, no really :)
OK, show me the ROI.

> > 6. I like spending hours on the phone to MS support people - they are
> > just the nicest people to talk to, even when they can't solve the
> > problem.
>
> I like spending hours fighting with zealots on Usenet and not get a single
> straight answer. Eventually finding I have no choice but to learn the finer
> points of a piece of software just so I can get it working (Usually by
> reading a manual that's not specifically for the version I have). Nobody
> seems to realise, I don't care how or why, just as long as it does.
> Welcome to the wonderful world of professional IT.

> > 7. I really enjoy tapping in long product activation codes on my
> > phone.
>
> I really enjoy routing through files in etc, looking for that one almost
> documented option that means I can do something more fun with what's left of
> my weekend.
Are you sure you want to be in IT?

> > 8. I want to be tied into DCM. After all - you can't trust anyone
> > these days!
>
> I want to be denied the online media revolution because it's ideologically
> incompatible with the people who write my software.
You wanna download p0rn.

> > 9. I like all the spyware that IE helps install.
>
> Think you win that one :P
Agreed.

> > 10. I enjoy removing viruses, and trying to recover data.
>
> I'm not stupid enough to run everything people send me via email, but those
> worms really really get my goat. Oh, we all have worms? Bugger.
Sadly there are a lot of people who do run everything that is sent to
them by e-mail. I know. I've worked with them.

> > But above all, I like seeing thousands of small businesses being
> > trampled on by the almighty MS!
>
> I remember a story about grass being greener.
Yup, and I can offshore to India.

> > Yours, tongue-in-cheek,
>
> Yours with 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
;)

Rick, have a happy and enjoyable xmas & new year.BTW- Are you coming to
the next meeting in January?

Jason.