[SC.LUG] ManLUG meetings for February 2003 through April 2003

Dr A V Le Blanc sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Feb 12 18:17:01 2003

ManLUG meetings for February 2003 through April 2003

15 February 2003, 14:00, usual place.  (For more information, see
our web site: http://www.manlug.man.ac.uk, under 'How to find us'.)
Reminder: Please bring a 'photo ID' to show the porters if you are
asked.

     Marc Duerner
     MagiConf - The basis for the Debian control center

No Distribution so far has managed to integrate their configuration
tools into more than one desktop nenvironment.  RedHat's configuration
tools are Gnome based and the SuSE ones are KDE based.

Debian does not make the mistake of focussing on only one desktop
environment, but treats them equally.  So when writing a control center
for the Debian Linux distribution, one must respect the various desktop
environments (or the lack thereof if someone runs a server without X!).

MagiConf is an application backend (libmagiconf.so) to fit this
purpose.

MagiConf is a shared library written in C/C++ using only standard C/C++
libraries and therefore does not depend on a particular desktop
environment or toolkit.

MagiConf can be used by a frontend to form a system configuration tool.
It is planned to write plugins for the KDE Control Center as well as
the Gnome Control Centrer and a text based configuration front end.
Writing a front end is very simple since most of the work gets done by
the library, which has a very comfortable and well documented API.

     Pete Mills
     Internet Facilitators

This is a company which sells space and services in our machine
room.  They have asked to have a very brief spot, which might
interest people who walk past all the big machines here and wonder
what they do.

     Simon Hobson
     DNS -- the Domain Name Service

DNS is one of the key internet services, yet is usually unnoticed by
most users (until it goes wrong !).  In fact I think it is fair to
say that it is THE most important service, second only to the network
protocols themselves.  I intend to demonstrate the basics in an
interactive session, and give a feel of the hidden processes at work
behind the scenes.

15 March 2003, 14:00, usual place.

James Youngman may finally present his wiki talk in March,
only a little more than a year late, if I recall correctly!
Interested in some other subjects?  Please give a talk yourself.
Save the trouble and volunteer now!  Uncle Linus wants _you_.

12 April 2003, 14:00, usual place.

Normally the April meeting would be on the 19th, but that's
in the middle of Easter weekend.  So I propose moving the April
meeting to April 12.  I'll remind you again and again, but
someone's sure to show up on the 19th!

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc@mcc.ac.uk

For PGP key 1024 bits 4BDCFB31, see http://www.man.ac.uk/~zlsiial/
or send email to pgp-public-keys@keys.pgp.net.
Key fingerprint = DC 60 81 A4 33 7F 95 40  D0 86 3B 51 48 0A AC 0E