[SC.LUG] Linux CDR Backup Project (possibly)

Frank Mitchell sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jan 8 18:13:00 2003

Re: Richard Smedley's enquiry about projects:

I've been researching the feasibility of designing a one-step Linux CDR
Backup & Archiving Utility, completely independent of mkisofs & cdrecord.
Maybe it's over-ambitious to try redesigning the whole set-up, but I'm
beginning to see how it might be done in Posix C, with a corresponding DOS32
version compiled using DJGPP.

I'm considering an Incremental Multisession Tree Backup. Reading the actual
ISO9660 Spec, I discovered this format should in fact be adequate for
recording a subtree within your home directory. ISO9660 is ambiguous in
places, but you're not limited to DOS 8.3 Filenames. Its only real drawback
seems to be that you'll always need a corresponding Code Page to read
non-ASCII characters on another machine.

I've collected alot more stuff about Unix Systems Programming, plus many
Hardware and Software specifications besides ISO9660. And I already
have a basic plan. But if anybody has comments or suggestions, they'd be
welcome.

Faictz ce que vouldras: Frank Mitchell