[SC.LUG] Qmail

Andy Roffe sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Jun 11 14:45:01 2003

Jonathan,

Here's the inside info.

The working recipe is based on dave sill's "life with qmail"
document. Read it first. It'll save you ages.

This has been made into an easy package called qinstall
by Baris Metin. Last time I looked the scripts had the odd minor
error this is why I suggest reading life with qmail for background.
Nothing serious, just typo's but having done this the long way
the background helped with debugging.

There are a couple of caveats:

You might want to consider mysql for the user db (this is in the
vpopmail docs)

Users will have to login with their email addresses ie: user@domain
this will make sense when you read the vpopmail docs.

It consists of:

autorespond
daemontools
qmail
ezmlm
ucspi-tcp
vpopmail (from  www.inter7.com - loads of qmail goodies there)
qmailadmin (inter7 again)

I usually add one or two bits of my own such as courier-imap.

FWIW : don't bother with the gui installer (but it's a mail server
- you won't have X on it right ?)

Harden the server anyway. qmail's very good but watch some of the other
bits.

Take your time. This is nice stuff but make sure you are running it
and not the other way round. There are gotcha's in there.

Once you are happy with it, I'll be surprised if you ever touch it
again.

Good luck
Shout if you need a help.

cheers