[SC.LUG] Summer Meetings

Roger Gibson sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri May 23 17:42:00 2003

Thanks for your welcome to the group.

I would be most grateful for any advice you may have with the matters
outlined below.  I have tried several Linux User Groups but my emails
are usually returned address unknown, or I get dead links etc.

I started scientific programming on Deuce in 1960, and went through a
series of computers until I got a Whitechapel Unix Workstation in mid
1980s.  I then moved to a Sun, and have been with that ever since.
I therefore have some 20 years running Unix, including superuser system
administration.

Being now semi-retired, I have been forced to Gates PC systems for
exchanging word documents etc.  I do need to keep my Unix based software
up and running, and am very aware that Microsoft's inefficient
software is strangling the potential of a PC's performance.  My Suns are
now dying, and I naively think that I can move all my Unix software
(10,000 lines Fortran, plus scores of scripts piping data between
programmes, output devices and files etc) to a PC running Linux.

I have been reading Linux Format, and am aware that systems have
developed somewhat since my early Solaris Unix, but can generally
understand what is going on.

I would be grateful for some general advice on the best routes to take.

My ideal system would be Linux based, but with an option to load
Microsoft based software on top when required for compatibility, and
also to use MS software  where this is unavoidable.  It may be that I
need a dual boot system, perhaps using 2 hard discs.  What I certainly
need is the ability for Linux/Fortran based programmes to motor at
maximum speed in one window, while a minimal amount of CPU keeps up with
my report typing in another.  I am reluctant to fully divorce myself
from Microsoft at this stage.  I am about to purchase a new high level
PC, and really do not have desk top space for 2 PCs immediately to hand.

1.  What modes of combining Windows XP Pro and a Linux Distr. on a
    single PC do you recommend

2.  What Linux 'flavour/s' do you recommend for use for self developed
    Fortran and C software, together with Office XP Pro compatibility.
    I obviously use email, and a limited amount of browsing, but have no
    games interest.  I would prefer fairly user friendly software,
    and/or software recognisable or quickly assimilated by a former Sun
    Unix superuser.  I would need a decent Fortran compiler, and a
    Fortran callable line drawing capability.  Obviously I would like a
    system to which I can easily port all my shell scripts etc.

3.  What books do you recommend as manuals to consult when keeping up
    with general system administration, and are there any good places
    in the North West where I can go and browse Linux books before
    choosing ones I fancy.

4.  Are there any other warnings you feel I should heed before I jump
    in?

5.  Can you recommend a lively active Linux User Group that includes a
    focus on scientific programming.

I would be most grateful for your advice so that I can make the most
from changing back to a unix environment.  I am really looking forward
to being able to type 'grep' again, and watch the instantaneous
response.

       Roger Gibson

       Bank Head         Tel    01829 720283
       Bulkeley          Fax    01829 720185