[SC.LUG] Summer Meetings

Paul Sinclair sc at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun May 25 18:48:01 2003

Hello Roger,

I didn't start scientific programming till 1966 on English Electric
KDF9. I've used Unix at work and at home. Having taken early retirement
some years ago I am currently using a 200MHz K6 dual booting Windows NT4
Workstation and Linux.It needs updating.

When buying new hardware beware of Win modems and printers, but you
probably knew that

Your knowledge of Unix will stand you in good stead with Linux.I would
advise a fairly minimal install and add packages as you need them. I
usually run with a couple of xterms and a file manager plus whatever is
needed. The curse of Unix is too much choice. You could even just use
consoles and avoid X alltogether.

On my system all files are readable from either operating system. Files
on a fat file system are readable and writeable from linux. My linux
files are readable and writeable from NT4 using Ex2FS Anywhere from
Paragon. Which is one advantage of using an established filesystem. One
of your first decisions is going to be how to partition your disk(s) and
which filessystems to use.

For several years I have lurked on the Linux Emporium list which is
friendly and helpful. Go to http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/ and subsribe
there. I know of no scientific specific lists but a question there might
  turn one up.

For information, David is right about the internet. Google.com/linux for
specifics and the distribution sites and the documentation project for
more general information. You have a lot of reading to do. The O'Reilly
books are good and Running Linux is probably the classic, but it depends
what suits you.

My wife can use grep and various other Unixtools in windows using
shareware tools.

I am phusically fairly close to you, in Utkinton just north of Tarporley.

Paul