[SC.LUG] ISDN/ADSL

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Fri Nov 7 14:00:53 GMT 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Jonathan Dwerryhouse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Was wondering if anyone knew a solution (or could write one) which is more a
> required change in habits than anything.
>
> Many design companies are still stuck using ISDN for transferring large
> files between each other or sending proofs to newspaper houses.  This is
> costly and inefficient.  Sadly, clients won't just switch to using FTP
> servers instead because this policy is dictated by the likes of the Murdoch
> group newspapers which I'm afraid to say dictate the policy to smaller
> design houses.
>
> Is anyone aware of a product (or could write one) that could enable one
> client to use their ADSL line to send directly to another client's ISDN
> line?

We looked into this a while ago and could definitely produce a solution.

The problem is that most ISDN transfers use a proprietary Hermstedt /
4site protocol. You would need to buy in to the Hermstedt way of doing things
and then offer incoming connections to you via adsl etc.

We have the hermstedt equipment here.

It would be quite hard to automate, because it is tied up in the
hermstedt software, such as 'Grand Central Pro'.

In short it should be possible to provide a chargeable service, but IMHO
it would all have to be done manually (or scripted on a windows box) and
would be a pita.

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net - The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.