[SC.LUG] Meetings [was Re: Tonight]

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Thu Oct 2 13:03:27 BST 2003

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 10:45:49 +0100
Richard Smedley <richard.smedley at livepublishing.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Just a quick reminder that there's
> > > a general meeting tonight which will
> > > (probably) include fun with mini-itx
> > > boxes.
>
> Thanks to evreyone who came last night -
> it was a good turnout for an unpublicised
> event with no speaker :-)

Indeed. good fun :-)

> Short report for those who couldn't make it:
> We got to see a couple of SFF({small|shuttle}
> form factor) boxen.
> A shuttle with quiet cooling by heat pipe

Incidentally, I forgot to mention but I will build SFF systems with
linux preinstalled for anyone who wants one. approximate price 350ukp
depending on spec.

> (and Linux From Scratch) and a Mini-ITX
> with 1GHz low current VIA processor, complete
> with reverse-engineered drivers for the
> onboard MPEG decoder :-)

Indeed, that was cool. Im gonna have to try that DVD stuff on my M6000
board now (I had been feeling conned by VIA about them not releasing
specs as they promised). First I need to find out what the fsck my
daughter did to the drive...

> Now, future meetings - our current venue is
> available whenever we need it, but some
> people would like a meeting in the north of
> the county. I'm happy to meet anywhere that
> someone wants to organise it :)

We could use a map with all of us on it :)

> We need speakers and topics volunteered/
> suggested for the next 3 meetings (early
> Nov and Dec, and mid Jan) - our long overdue
> Samba talk can now cover Samba3 ;-)

I might be able to talk about reverse engineering on ARM (with a bent to
PDAs) soon. I dont know when though.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with
ketchup.