[SC.LUG]How many machines do you need?

Simeon swfarrington at beeb.net
Tue Oct 7 18:49:28 BST 2003

Hello,

The snag with receiving the digest version is individual replies are
difficult - therefore I'm afraid it's a composite one, but I guess
that means tomorrow's digest isn't totally clogged with my ramblings
:)

>>machine, although I'll have a surplus of machines again! I did have a
>>throw out recently of a heap of ISA i/o cards which was emotionally
>>very challenging!!

srmlou> Nooooo! :-(
srmlou> *Never* throw anything out - the Smedley Hardware
srmlou> Repository is always waiting 8^)

I know - I'm only just out of therapy! I couldn't believe I'd kept all
of that stuff. Gone now (sob) but at least I have space for more junk,
although the speed my CD collection is currently expanding...........

srmlou> Specs? - if the laptop is in the 486-P100, 16-32MB RAM
srmlou> range then I'm interested :-)

It's reasonably high spec (higher than above range) and was bought in
a fit of want as opposed to need. Useful for a while but I tend to
only use one machine now I've switched to broadband and have a
reasonable firewall on my router (reasonable in that it suits my
requirements). I'll dig out the specs and email them direct - anyone
else interested? (sorry that's the effect of selling plenty of junk on
eBay!)

srmlou> It's good to hear you back on the list again :-)

<grin>

srmlou> Someone else who collects computers? Realistically, I just need one (Linux)
srmlou> machine and one "experimental" machine to install new OSs on and mess with.
srmlou> At present I have one Linux mandrake (Duron) machine, one Win 2k (Via chip)
srmlou> machine, A sparc (Redhat), a laptop (SuSE) and a HP Visualize (HP-UX and
srmlou> CDE). The wife has Win XP on her PC and Win 2K on a laptop, my daughter has
srmlou> Win Me (and Mandrake) on her PC.

I live alone and there really is a limit when your house is small.
Five machines was outside that limit, but one has already gone. An
expensive way to heat it as well ;-)

srmlou> 8 computers for three people is a bit
srmlou> excessive. A friend of mine collected motorbikes in the same way. You can
srmlou> only ride one at a time.
srmlou> Is there a self-help group for people like me? Does anyone else have the same
srmlou> problem (see something interesting on ebay and buy it)? What hardware do you
srmlou> use most of the time? (through choice).

I collect junk all the time which resulted in the "Enter the
Gloryhole" eBay sale a few weeks ago. Also gave loads of stuff to
Oxfam including some old windows discs - I'm sure if they add a clock
mechanism they'll be able to sell them on to others for profit that
way :)

srmlou> Personally I have 3 computers - a laptop for work, Windows XP and Suse,
srmlou> a shuttle xpc running Win 2k and Suse, and finally a Mini-itx machine
srmlou> running redhat 8.. http://www.mini-itx.com/ is a great place to find a
srmlou> cheap dedicated linux machine, everything but the dvd playback hardware
srmlou> is supported on any reasonably modern distribution.

What are you using for DVD playback - that was the one area I
struggled with - I managed to get something working under debian ages
ago, but then I tinkered, it broke and I couldn't resurrect it again.
Will drop into that site on the grounds that I have several card slots
available in the Shuttle ;-)

srmlou> Whats the problem? Is it an Nforce based one?
srmlou> Im running an Nforce2 bases Shuttle machine

Yes that's right. When I tried mandrake 9.0 is spent loads of time
choking over the install so I gave up. Redhat 9.0 was slightly better
although I didn't get the networking and sound running although I
admit I didn't have much time to try it out. I'd prefer to run debian
on it anyway (as I know where I'm at with it) but again getting the
network up is primary so I can synchronise it with apt. What distro
are you using. What jiggery-pokery did you need to do to get the board
functioning (mine is Nforce2 with Athlon chip)

srmlou> sorry - bit late - cant guarantee to make Sandbach every time - it was a
srmlou> long way - but poynton would be great :)

Poynton is much easier for me than Sandbach so , depending on days
chosen, I might actually get to another meeting!!!!! Shocking!

All the best

Simeon