[SC.LUG] gentoo linux

Rick [Kitty5] rick at kitty5.com
Tue Oct 14 10:12:25 BST 2003

Greg Bolshaw wrote:
> The installation process is a fantastic way to learn the workings of
> the Linux operating system - even for a newbie. In the long run
> though, I experienced loads of problems with corrupt packages and
> conflicting packages.

The only package related problems I have had with 1.4 are some of the Gnome
bits and bobs refused to compile with my settings, but these problems have
been worked out with the newer releases.

Aside from wishing for reverse dependencies, the packaging system is by far
the best I have ever used.

> It's also not a very pleasent experience on
> lower range hardware (PIII 500 down) as everything is compiled from
> source. Compiling of XFree + KDE3 took 2 days on the above machine.

That is something they don't prepare you for very well, some of the guides
suggest you go grab a book or something, when in reality your better leaving
it running over night. Although, if you have lower end gear use the second
cd as it has pre compiled packages. ok, so it wont be using your USE &
CFLAGS but its will get you started.

Rick

Kitty5 NewMedia http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key