[SC.LUG] luddite hardware support

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 10:30:57 BST 2003

On Wednesday 15 Oct 2003 9:16 am, Richard Smedley wrote:
> Ah, but can it beat John's QL ;-P

The 8MHz 68008P processor is amazing. Unfortunately that is the 32bit chip
speed. The actual machine is slower because the bus is only 8bits wide.

It is running Emacs although the GNU page has now removed the reference about
it being supported.
The microEmacs page however does still ship three versions for the QL (We have
two underlying OSes (QDOS and SMSQ/E) http://uemacs.tripod.com/nojavasc.html

By 1994 only two of us admitted Emacs was our favourite text editor on the QL
http://luna.gui.uva.es/sinclair/ql/misc/QHJ.17
And I guess I may be the last.

Linus in April 1992 said "I always liked QDos"

And just before you all completely laugh yourselves silly, there is a strong
Manchester QL user group (we meet once a month). The QL usergroup (QUANTA)
started in Feb 1984.

John  :-)

Luddite is apt for me. The village next to where I grew up is called
Broadbottom and was the site where the Luddites finally ended. The manager of
the mill agreed that they could smash the engines in the yard as long as they
did not burn down the mill. The Cheshire Cheese across the road from the mill
serves the finest beer in the known world.