[SC.LUG] strange harvest

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Wed Oct 29 18:02:07 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 29 Oct 2003 5:01 pm, Richard Smedley wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> linux-research at mccmedia.com has subscribed itself
> to the list.
>
> A look at
> http://mccmedia.com/
> http://mccmedia.com/research.html#robot
> will give you some idea of what they are up to.
>
> - & a look at
> http://mccmedia.com/focus.html#About
> will leave you none-the-wiser
>

> How do the membership feel about this sort
> of thing?
>
> btw I have set their account to receive ``no mail''
> just for now, while this is discussed. ;-)
>
>  - Richard
>
> btw2 a couple of days ago I added the following to
> the sc.lug welcome message, which they will have
> received:
>
> ``The copyright of all messages sent to and received from this mailing
> list remains with the original message author. By subscribing to this
> list, you agree to respect the copyright of list posters as defined in
> UK law.
> Re-publishing and automated analysis of list is not prohibited, but you
> are asked to gain permission from the relevant list subscribers before
> doing so.''

I certainly think this is very discourteous (I take it they did not ask).

Would automated analysis be considered a derivative work because if so I think
this is exclusive to the copyright holder.

 Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden. (Systems Developer)
Crystallography Journals Online: <http://journals.iucr.org>