[SC.LUG] Mandrake 10.1 incredibly slow browsing on a small number of sites

Rick rick at ninjafoo.com
Wed Dec 29 22:00:55 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 28 December 2004 16:21, Robert Marshall wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, rick at ninjafoo.com wrote:
> > On Monday 27 December 2004 20:39, Robert Marshall wrote:
> >> Well I've tried both - ipv6 and pipex dns - without any improvement (not
> >> simultaneously!). Maybe I'll find a spare partition and try installing
> >> the real mdk 10.1 release (rather than community with updates)
> >
> > Personally I wouldnt bother
>
> And you'd suggest? (yes I know you don't like mandrake!)

Gentoo rocks. Not for the occassional long build or the ability to optomise
everything to the Nth degree, but because a Gentoo box is for life.

No more fresh installing the whole OS with every release (and if your in
mandrake country, you *need* those point releases!), no more releases period.

Its just one long gradual upgrade, sync and build the new stuff.

USE flags to tell the system what to build in and (more importantly) what
*not* to build in, afterall no point building X support in if your running a
server, no point having gnome support if your never going to use it.

Building the box from scratch doesnt really teach you much about how Linux
works (as some claim), it simply makes the command line a less frightening
place. So when you need to do something, your more inclined to have a go.

The community support is second to none, not a RTFM or "Linux isnt for you" in
sight.

I run Gentoo everywhere - Production servers (in house and live) many desktops
and laptops. I put IPCOP on firewall boxes

Rick