Democracy (was : RE: [SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?)

Matthew Tolley matthew at matthewtolley.com
Wed Feb 4 13:10:52 GMT 2004

Hmm,

People will naturally want to read to get involved in their democracy and
start making decisions, so I don't feel making education compulsory would
help.

In any case, some of the happiest and most successful people in history were
people who were illiterate or dropped out of school. I'm all in favour of
literacy - big time - but making it compulsory everywhere? Nah - let the
people make it compulsory if they want to.

Matt.