Democracy (was : RE: [SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?)

Neil Lucock neil.lucock at zen.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 17:32:28 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 17:14, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:11:24 -0000
> "Matthew Tolley" <matthew at matthewtolley.com> wrote:
>
> > People will naturally want to read to get involved in their democracy and
> > start making decisions, so I don't feel making education compulsory would
> > help.
>
> So you are suggesting that illitearte people should not be able to vote then?
No, they should not be allowed to leave school until they prove that
they can read and write. At least two languages other than English. And
make chips and egg.

Make it hard to qualify for voting rights and people will actively want
to earn those rights. Give it away for free, and people won't care about
it </Starship Troopers>
Neil :-)