[SC.LUG] OpenOffice at Wilmslow High School

Jason Lucas jason at industrialarchaeology.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 17:48:47 GMT 2004

Quiet! they may decide we meed a regime change here!

Glad you've managed to contact the IT person at Wilmslow. I've been
telling our local Museum Director about Linux, but they have yet to
adopt it. Chatting to other Museum people, there seems to be an interest
in Linux and also in copyright issues in general. Some museums are now
looking at implementing Creative Commons agreements
(www.creativecommons.org) for their collections in order to make them
more accessible.

For example:

Getting back to Jason's point - would anyone publish using Creative
Commons agreements?

Yes, certainly. We're looking into using Creative Commons as our
standard copyright situation on the 24 Hour Museum website. As we are
finding, there are currently some frustrating but understandable
technical impediments to seamless navigation of online collections.

Perhaps the most annoying impediment is not technical, but legal. Lots
of digitised collections are wrapped up in copyright red tape, to the
point on some collections where you can't even look at thumbnails. And
we do need to worry about copyright info for our free newsfeed.

At 24 HM we would like to see a more flexible approach to copyright
issues in publicly funded archives. Creative Commons is potentially an
excellent way forward. David Dawson  has enthused about the idea in
projects with us and we independently discovered it when researching our
newsfeed.

And there's an interesting thing. You can engineer some devilishly
clever xml script into a newsfeed which automatically 'parcels up'
Creative Commons license information within an RSS xml type newsfeed.
Just what we are looking into...

So Creative Commons is not bound up in whatever preconceptions some
Brit-listers may seek to articulate about Demos - there are others (like
us) looking to use it right now. I hope it takes off.

Jon Pratty, Editor, 24 Hour Museum