[SC.LUG] OpenOffice.org@Wilmslow High School

Geoff capsthorne at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 14 17:00:47 GMT 2004

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:42:19 +0000
"Rick [Kitty5]" <rick at kitty5.com> wrote:

> Personally, the main reason OO isn't my first choice is
> that documents often have to be read by other people using
> MSO. OO does a fair job of opening Word docs these days,
> but the saving tends to munge the formatting; Meaning I
> have to open my doc in Word anyway to fix it up.
>
> The comfort factor is an issue, but not as big as document
> portability, especially as almost everyone can open Word
> docs.

/unlurk

Me too.  I would *love* to abandon vmware/win98/MSO, which
is the last vestige of Mr Gates' output on my system, but I
make much of my living producing documents which are
e-mailed to my clients all of whom are on MSO and which
simply must be right in every detail.  For many years I used
WordPerfect and I have a large archive of stuff going right
back to v.4.3 for DOS, but in the end even WP's export
filters were not up to the job.  I don't suppose there will
ever be a complete solution for this, which is very
depressing.

Geoff

/relurk

__
"Dark corners are basically fractal - no matter how much you
illuminate, there's always a smaller but darker one." Brian
Kernighan