[SC.LUG] OpenOffice.org@Wilmslow High School

Geoff capsthorne at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 14 18:26:58 GMT 2004

On 14 Feb 2004 18:03:16 +0000
Jason Lucas <jason at industrialarchaeology.co.uk> wrote:

> You could always run MSO under WINE (www.winehq.org) or
> CrossoverOffice(www.codeweavers.com/site/products/cxoffic
> e/)

<snip>

I guess so, but my vmware, though ancient (2.0.4), is paid
for, and I even built this box as smp largely because
(imho), that smooths out vmware performance.  I don't know
if any of you follow vmware developments, but the excellent
kernel hacker Petr Vandrovec releases patches which, so far
at least, allow even my old vmware to run under current
kernels(I am presently on 2.6.2 without problems).

I admire the wine project, but I never do seem able to get
things to work reliably under it.  Probably I don't put in
enough effort.  If Petr's patches eventually fail me, then
I will probably turn to the crossover implementation.

Geoff
__
"Thus do I ever make my fool my purse" (Gates)