[SC.LUG] Fedora Core 1

Zack Adlington fragile_k at myrealbox.com
Wed Feb 25 20:49:44 GMT 2004

damian at damosoft.co.uk wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Zack Adlington wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Has anyone else used Fedora Core 1? I installed it after it was on the
>>Linux Format (great mag) cover discs and it is now my main linux system.
>>There were a few niggles such as editing gnome menus as a non root user,
>>but these were easily cleared up with a bit of googling. Has anyone else
>>had similar experiences?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Zack
>>

> Hi Zack,
>
> Ive been using Fedora Core 1 for a good handful of months on my main
> workstation without problems. Ive always been a follower of Red Hat and
> Im really impressed with this one.  My 2 web servers are still on RH9 but
> as soon as I can afford them to go down for some maintenance I'll be
> fedora coring those. (especially as 1 is due for replacement)

Yeah - it's a good distro. I've heavily modded it to use apt (that is
the fedora apt server www.fedora.us) and synaptic, themed gnome to look
vaguely like OS X, and compiled kernel 2.6. Solid or what? I'm thinking
maybe editing the graphical boot screen to add to the customised feel...

Is 3.2 stable yet? Last time I looked it was in alpha... but then again
I am a gnomeish person...

Cheers,
Zack