[SC.LUG] Interesting article in the Guardian

Jason Lucas jason at industrialarchaeology.co.uk
Thu Jan 8 18:56:41 GMT 2004

To quote part of the article:

"And without a Stallman-style ideological commitment, it is hard to see
why any bright young programmer with a brilliant idea should decide not
to become a billionaire and give it all away. Logically, open source
will result in a software industry that is not just without significant
profits but without the profit motive. It will be interesting to see if
it works."

I think that the columnist also mis-understands the way software is
developed these days. It is unlikely just one person will come up with
some fantastic new software idea. Software development just doesn't work
like that. I think that days of 'you too could become as rich as Bill
Gates' are long gone. It's now a mature, saturated market - if you want
to make a fast buck, look elsewhere.

J.