[SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?

Rick [Kitty5] rick at kitty5.com
Mon Jan 26 22:46:50 GMT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:
> Bullshit. *ANYONE* who has that much money can look generous. The
> true measure would be as to wether it was a sacrifice on his part.
> yeah, right.

Who said anything about actually being generous, its all about appearances
(besides, not many people actually have that much money)

> And as to setting the stage? haha. yeah, right.
>
> Acorn had a FAR better desktop but couldnt get any market share
> because even by then W$ and DO$ were so firmly entrenched in the
> business market NO-one could get a look in (except in the tiny niches
> of publishing and music which M$ didnt care about back then)

The Acorn desktop looked retro even in 95! (Aside from the AA fonts) That
and you needed a _very_ expensive Acorn to run it on!

> Apple had a superior desktop at that point also.

They have always had a superior desktop, but again running on expensive
propriety hardware. Exactly the same as is it now.

> The computer revolution, in short, was getting on just FINE before M$
> crippled it.

Win95 running on cheap x86 hardware is what kick started the entire consumer
PC market and put MS in the position they are today. They made the PC
popular and in doing so standardised the desktop computing environment.

We now live with the luxury of being able to buy our gear off the shelf from
a huge variety of manufacturers at very competitive prices. Would that have
been the case if Apple or Acorn had come out on top? Thank your lucky stars
MS was never a hardware company!

>> Hopefully the Queen will slip with that sword and take his eye out :)
>
> I hope she lops his head off.

And the day after MS would be in the same position they are now with the
same people running it. MS is not the enemy. If it wasn't them it would be
another corporation dominating the market doing exactly the same things.

Do you think even for a second that if IBM had come out on top with OS/2
they would be backing Linux now?

Rick

Kitty5 NewMedia http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key : http://pgp.kitty5.com