[SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 27 09:55:56 GMT 2004

Rick [Kitty5] wrote:

>>The computer revolution, in short, was getting on just FINE before M$
>>crippled it.
>>

>Win95 running on cheap x86 hardware is what kick started the entire consumer
>PC market and put MS in the position they are today.

Nonsense, the whole thing was kicked off by
Uncle Clive and his ZX80, and ZX81. This
brought computing into the homes of those without
the resources to build a UK101, or the considerable
werewithal needed to purchase an Apple ][.

These Johnny-come-lately, beige, ``PC'' boxes from
IBM and their imitators are a passing phase, and
will never achieve the longevity of, say, the QL
(eh, John ;-)

Moving back on-topic, the consumer and the
business user both had plenty of choice in 1995,
both of software and hardware. However Wintel
won out not just because of better marketing, but
- as has been pointed out - because it was what
wsa used in the office, and the reason for this was
the Lotus (and then Microsoft) spreadsheet.

>>>Hopefully the Queen will slip with that sword and take his eye out :)
>>>

>>I hope she lops his head off.

As sadists, you're all non-starters - how about
suggesting him for the next edition of  ``I'm a
celebrity, get me out of here''?

>Do you think even for a second that if IBM had come out on top with OS/2
>they would be backing Linux now?

A fair question, but IBM has always, like Sun, made
their money from hardware.