[SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Fri Jan 30 18:29:29 GMT 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:47:36 -0000
"Rick [Kitty5]" <rick at kitty5.com> wrote:

> Ian Molton wrote:
> Does it
> even matter if the lifespan of a CPU is reduced by 20% when said CPU will
> probably run years past the point of relavence?

I dunno. but a duron or athlon hitting 80 degrees seems to drop the lifespan to under a year in my experience.

> > Water cooling is overkill, not to mention noisy and prone to leakage.
>
> Water cooling is close to silent! As i mentioned before, the noisy bits of
> my PC are the fan of the geforce card and the HD's.

No pump then? I havent found a quiet water pump that didnt cost the earth.

>  Leakage is a worry, so you check the setup every few months and be prepared
> to replace any flexable tubing every few years. Having a PC with a window
> and using a UV reactive dye allows you to spot any slow leaks instantly.

Ugh. windows are so tacky. not to mention glass/plastic are good insulators...

> The biggest issues are actually galvanic corrosion (different metals in the
> system reacting with the water)

yes, even if the metals arent electrically connected too. (if they are different)

> My setup has run 24/7 for over a year now, and all I have had to do is drain
> and replace the water every 6 months.

I dont.

> If you dont like the idea of water, why not submerge the entire shooting
> match in mineral oil :)

Its been done...

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.