[SC.LUG] Folder names for a Linux desktop user

Andy Crichton andrew.crichton at abibuildingdata.com
Fri Mar 12 14:18:32 GMT 2004

The linux "Filesystem Hierarchy Standard" http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

/usr/local = Locally installed software
/opt = add-on application software packages.

I don't know where you are supposed to put locally installed software
application packages  :)

Most linux people use /usr/local , most sun people use /opt (hence open
office packages might use this path too).

	I think the point is to put every "software package" in a consistent
place on all of your machines. This way you never have to remember where
things are , especially if you haven't needed to log on to the machine for
some time!

	More generally I would keep these separate (different partitions if
not disks/volumes)

1.) Core OS
2.) Software
3.) Data

AC

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. The contents are confidential and may be privileged.
Any views or opinions expressed are those of the sender and may not reflect the views or opinions of the company and the company accepts no liability in respect thereof.
If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster at abibuildingdata.com immediately.

http://www.star.net.uk