[SC.LUG] sounds funny

Simeon Farrington swfarrington at beeb.net
Fri May 14 15:42:39 BST 2004

Hi all

Well, after a break of almost a year and a half, I've finally got around
to reinstalling Debian (Sarge). Admittedly the break was due to lack of
time and finally a good faff over which distro to try out. Anyway, the
net install went very well (except for a partitioning error where I
accidently made the extended partition too small and now am unable to
access a large amount of disk without reformatting - if anyone can
explain an easier way of fixing this it would be appreciated as I don't
want to have to reinstall!)

The good thing about being away though is that the progress that has
been made is astounding - I'm sure everything doesn't work, but so far
I've not had any major problems, and while I've never felt that the
debian system was particularly difficult on installation, having been
away from the system for a while, it did cross my mind that I may
struggle. Not a problem :) Doesn't appear to like my PS/2 mouse, but
plugging it into a USB port and no questions are asked!!

Anyway, getting to today's question. My Audigy is picked up according to
dmesg:

Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.20a, 04:05:49 Apr 28 2004
emu10k1: Audigy rev 3 model 0x53 found, IO at 0xe800-0xe81f, IRQ 19
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x8384:0x7609 (SigmaTel STAC9721/23)

and it appears under /proc:gandalf:~# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:     833735    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:       3471    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
  9:          0   IO-APIC-level  acpi
 14:       7209    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
 15:         31    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
 16:          3   IO-APIC-level  ohci1394
 19:          0   IO-APIC-level  Audigy
 21:       9987   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd, uhci_hcd, uhci_hcd, ehci_hcd
 23:        172   IO-APIC-level  eth0
NMI:          0
LOC:     833686
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

But I can't get it to play :( Running alsamixer gives an error:

gandalf:~# alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

Can anyone tell me what I've missed so I can get some sound please?!
Also if there is a way around the partitioning error that would be
appreciated too :) The mistake I made was thinking that having created a
number of partitions (primary and logical) I could go back and partition
the rest of the disk when I knew what I wanted. It seems that I can't!!!

All the best

Simeon