[SC.LUG] Free software on the small screen [Fwd: [marketing-educ] TV show to speak to younger users]

Richard Smedley richard at sc.lug.org.uk
Fri Nov 26 19:17:13 GMT 2004

Subject: [marketing-educ] TV show to speak to younger users
From:    "Jacqueline McNally" <jacqueline at openoffice.org>
Date:    Fri, November 26, 2004 1:27 am
To:      educ at marketing.openoffice.org

South African TV show evangelises open source
[Ingrid Marson, ZDNet UK, November 24, 2004]

"A South African organisation has produced what it claims is the first
television series dedicated to promoting open-source software

The first in a 13-part series of television shows to promote open-source
software was broadcast in South Africa on Saturday.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39174917,00.htm"

[...]

"It's really aimed at non-technical people -- we're not trying to preach
to the converted," said Black. "We're trying to speak to the end user,
particularly younger users, and to encourage them to try open-source
software and to get involved in the open-source community."

The web site associated with the show is
http://www.go-opensource.org/go_open/ but if you display
http://www.go-opensource.org/ and click on the "OSS in SA" link you will
see a section on "OSS in schools" too.

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
Lead, OpenOffice.org Marketing Project

--
Try it, you'll like it. www.openoffice.org

"Make the most of yourself. Be daring. Above all, have fun".
     --Elsa Schiaparelli