[SC.LUG] New Member Intro.

Andy andy at southcheshire.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 19:16:58 BST 2004

>Ive installed Mandrake 10
>on my laptop to experiment with, but trying to get urpm setup from
>urpm.org, maybe play more tonight...
>
>Damian

Not something I use as such, I tend to use the rpmdrake GUI for package management.
It takes care of all the dependancies and most, if not all of the stuff I've needed to install has been on the 3 x community CD's anyway.
If you haven't discovered RPMDRAKE, it's under System/Configuration/Packaging.
>From there you can Add/Remove and manage repositories.

However, I think URPM* is installed by default, I seem to have the following package installed, which covers
urpmi, urpmf, urpmq, urpme.

Name: urpmi
Version: 4.4.5-10mdk
Size: 2381 KB.

This is one of the reasons I'm looking to play with other distros.
Mandrake protects me from the console a little too much. I want to learn what's going on beneath all these pretty GUI's.

Andy T