[SC.LUG] networking for idiots

Andy Roffe aroffe at its-linux.co.uk
Sat Apr 9 11:44:13 BST 2005

Roberts,

If it helps, I recall having a similar problem with rtl based NICs in a box running Mandrake. I never found the actual culprit but the fix was using a hub. One of the NIC's involved steadfastly refused to operate with a xover cable although everything looked good. Nic lit up ok.

I also once had a box that refused to work on the network unless a cable was
present at boot. Although again everything seemed perfect, just no traffic.

I put these down to driver/distro anomalies that are a rare fact of life on
Linux. That's not a criticism  just an observation and preferable to the sort of network/driver nonsense that happened regularly back in my NT Server days.

Good luck,
Andy Roffe