[SC.LUG] Introduction

Peter Collier pecb at gotadsl.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 05:20:41 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 03:40, Jonty wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 01:49 +0000, Peter Collier wrote:
> > My first experience of linux was slackware 1.0 , somewhere in the
> > early to mid 80's.
>
> Not to be awkward, but you mean UNIX right? Linux wasn't released
> until 1991-2ish...
>
> Welcome anyway!
>
> Cheers,
> Jonty

They say as you get older you lose track of time.  I got ravelled up on
taking 20 years off from now instead of 10 and 20 from that. Yes you
are right about the date. I was working out that it was about 10 or so
years ago that I started on home pc's and soon after I was delving into
linux.  It was about 20 years before that, where I first came into
contact with computers, in the early 1970's. Print only output, no
screen. About the same power of early sinclairs, ran on basic. Programs
saved on magnetic cards. We used it to calculate simple statistical
functions. About 1974, we had a mainframe size computer installed. ICL
rings a bell. I remember our department started to learn fortran for
it. However I left soon after, so computer handling came to an end for
a few years.

I think my old grey matter has got the sequence of dates right now.

Peter C