[SC.LUG] Trebus And Circular Paths

Frank Mitchell mitchell at cloudynwuk.force9.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 23:19:34 GMT 2005

Dear LUGs,

I knew I'd forgotten something. I sent Trebus out as a Bare Executable and
suggested running it in a Subdirectory of /root because that's one way of
avoiding Circular Paths. You need to put it somewhere outside /home and
avoid setting up a Circular Path of Symbolic Links.

Apologies to people who don't like getting Executables in Email Attachments.
I did try to upload Trebus to the SC_LUG Wiki but I got Permission Denied. I
just had to send it out somehow and see what people thought.

I suspect a Virus Writer would use a standard packaging method with an
Installation Script which installed undesirable stuff automatically. Coming
to think of it, one Freeware Windows CD Writer I tried did indeed install
some Spyware, which wasn't automatically uninstalled when you'd finished
with the CD Software.

Meanwhile Andrew Hutchings is planning to safeguard NWLUG Members by testing
Trebus "In the lab tomorrow on a disposable PC". Well I'm not actually
expecting it to explode... Maybe some sort of "LUGware Protocol" could be
devised to screen Software Submissions.

Faictz Ce Que Vouldras: Frank Mitchell