[SC.LUG] I'd Prefer Comments From Actual Trebus Users

Eion MacDonald eionmac at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 26 22:39:40 GMT 2005

Sirs,
20051226
Thanks for detectinng loophole.

Unfortunately, I saw the original email with attachments , from one LUG, but
not from another LUG, although my system did warn me the message on the
visible one where the message was repeated without moderation, that there
was a password protected and executable attachment.

I have tightened my systems.
Such messages will  now be automatically deleted.

Thank you for showing me a loophole in my security.

It is not the "free" program that is objectionable, or its objectives
It is the way of distribution. It could or might have
 been from someone with intent to  have cause damage.
Linux systems are now at "attach interest" level, as they reach a measurable
proportion of users.

It is not worth an attacker targeting 0.1% of  systems, but 5% or more, that
is a different story and worth
 effort, for havoc or benefit or proof of  concept, for future use.

I quote from SigInt training handbook

QUOTE
The ****deleted by Eion*** support mission at all echelons is to provide
intelligence, EW, and CI support to help you accomplish your mission.

Elements of Intelligence Support

Signals Intelligence (SIGINT)

SIGINT is analyzed information derived from monitoring and locating enemy
communications and noncommunications systems (such as enemy radars).
Intelligence derived from monitoring enemy communications is communications
intelligence (COMINT), and intelligence derived from monitoring
noncommunications emitters is electronic intelligence (ELINT).

Electronic Warfare (EW)

EW is one of your combat multipliers. It can disrupt enemy command and
control and fire support communications when used during a critical phase of
the battle. Some aspects of it will protect your communications. The three
elements of EW are-

UNQUOTE

Thanks for allowing me to tighten my open to the world system,

Regards
Eion MacDonald (eionmac at btinternet.com)
 Tel. +44 (0) 1925762873