[SC.LUG] [Fwd: Xandros Desktop OS Open Circulation Edition]

Andy Roffe aroffe at its-linux.co.uk
Fri Feb 18 12:49:51 GMT 2005

Rick,

What is it you don't get ?

Open Circulation a free as in beer release. As in you don't have to pay
for it.
They are offering you a choice - a free distro or a commercially
supported one.
And yes, you can download all that stuff for free - but you can't create
a distribution from all that software for free.

What you get when you pay for the commercial edition is .. Well, stuff
you might want to pay for.

But you don't have to.. You can have the free one they are offering here
(Open Circulation)
or have a discount of 45% if you’re a lug member.

This is a good thing. I like choice like this.

So tell me what I'm missing. Why don't you get it?

Sometimes it's good to get people using your product early - maybe you'd
offer a discount to early users as an incentive.
You may want to do that even if it hits your margins.

Don't they have marketing in your industry ?

It doesn't seem very fair to beat somebody up publicly for offering you
a discount(and a choice) you don't want.

Andy
- Not bothering to reach for flameproof suit - I can get one for free.