[SC.LUG] [Fwd: Xandros Desktop OS Open Circulation Edition]

Andy Roffe aroffe at its-linux.co.uk
Fri Feb 18 22:06:54 GMT 2005

Rick,

That's quite a rant.

Have you actually tried Xandros? Or come to that have you tried building
a commercial distro.

I own a copy of Xandros (among many other free, "free" and proprietary
linux distro's) and there is a market for all of them - they all suit
different users with different needs, tastes and pockets. I think this
choice is a good thing.

I happen to think there is some value in their commercial offering. I'm
not a newbie - I know what it takes to build a distro like that. I also
think they are entitled to sell their work however they choose. I
imagine that you exercise the same right with your business.

I can choose debian, gentoo, Novell, Ubuntu, RedHat etc... Some free,
some paid for.
Dude - that is choice. You may not think it a good thing but it IS
choice.

Rick - you and I can build capable linux distro's from free software but
the average user can't and usually doesn't want to. What I try to do is
let them know they have a choice. That is what I think open-source or
free software is about.

What does "If you have to give your product away to get people to try
it, your product is worthless" mean?

That years of free-sample marketing was a pointless waste of time?
That GNU/Linux is worthless because you don't have to pay for it?
Buy one get one free because it is a worthless product actually?

I've been using "free" software in business and home applications for
over ten years.
Thanks for your advice Rick, but I'd notice if I'd have been fooled by a
software company.

I've heard all this before too.

Don't take it personally, I just think you are wrong.

Andy