[SC.LUG] wireless card, and RPM install [was Re: html email]

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Fri Feb 25 10:28:02 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 05:09 -0500, LALAYNG at aol.com wrote:
> Yes I am using Windows XP (I cannot get Linux to recognise my wireless
> card) and AOL.

What card is it?

> On the other business, "Xconq <enter>" produces "bash:Xconq:command
> not found";
> "man Xconq" produces "no manual entry for Xconq";
> "info Xconq" gives "bash:info: command not found"
> When I su root and type "locate Xconq", nothing is returned;

You may need to

   updatedb

first. Also search for xconq, not Xconq. Better yet,
do both with

   locate -i xconq

> and I know that no file called Xconq (or anything resembling it) is
> in /usr/games.
>
> I am beginning to think the game is not installed, or has not been
> correctly installed.  Last night I tried to reinstall it and was told,
> "already installed".
> Incidentally, I tried to install it by pointing to the rpm version I
> have (got from the Linux magazine incidentally) and then entering what
> I took was an automatic install program.  There are 5 such rpm
> packages in the Xconq folder, all i586.  The program to install them
> is called "software installer".
> The installation seeemed to take place OK (I had messages about
> associated files needing to be installed, and then a progress bar
> appearing, and a little time elapsing as it did its work), but since
> then I am unable to run it.
>
> The game in itself is not important.  What is important, is that I
> have yet to be successful at installing anything.

Hmm. Maybe somebody who runs an RPM-based distro such
as Mandrake, can suggest something with few dependencies
to try?

Free Software in the North-West:
http://www.sc.lug.org.uk/           Cheshire Free Software Group
http://liverpool.lug.org.uk/        Merseyside Free Software Group