[SC.LUG] Mandrake 10.1 incredibly slow browsing on a small number of sites

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Sat Jan 1 13:51:40 GMT 2005

Rick wrote:
> On Friday 31 December 2004 21:05, Ian Molton wrote:
>
>>If I may interject... just because its 'compiled' doesnt mean its
>>faster. (you mean self-compiled anyway - all distros are compiled)
>

> It depends on the application, sure for 99% of the stuff on a system it really
> makes no odds, but for those few applications that can make use of cpu
> features it really helps.
>
> For me CPU optomisation is a perk, Gentoo's killer feature is portage.

Fair enough.

>>Typical software shows a ~2-5% performance improvement when optimised
>>for i686 rather than i386, nothing significant.
>
> It depends on your hardware, I am running AMD64 on my desktop, running 32bit
> seems such a waste.

Thats not optimisation really, rather, its compiling for the correct
instruction set in the first place.

 > Anyway a 5% increase for something like povray is nothing
> to be sniffed at,

cant really agree with that. Not that it hurts though.

 > it can also make a real difference on less than stellar
> hardware. A couple of extra FPS on video is all that seperates pointless and
> acceptable.

True, however <400MHz machines arent very common now (my K6-III 400
could do full-frame mpeg2 decode without hw accel)

> the only real bugs I
> have encountered are in the kernel, but then I am running on 2.6.9 dev
> sources so its to be expected really.

Thats curious - I find the kernel to be one of the less buggy bits of
code on my system. (running 2.6.10)

>>(just adding some balance into the self-build is better argument. Im a
>>die hard LFS user anyway ;-)
>

> How do you handle package management, updating etc?

by hand.

 > I was tempted by LFS after
> being seriously put off linux by packaged based distros (and all the usual
> problems) but then found Gentoo and haven't looked back.

If you like the packaging features, then you may want to try LFS with
the package-management hint.