[SC.LUG] Major Breakthrough on Myth Box!

Cockroft, John John.Cockroft at GB.Unisys.com
Mon Jul 11 10:51:21 BST 2005

Had a tinker with the MythTV box last night and had a major breakthough
:)

Did yet *another* recompile but followed the suggested set of modules
from here

http://www.helkit.com/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/Main/MythTVDVB-TAndConexant
Notes

Didn't use the stock kernel but used the patched FC3 one as before.  I
tried it, it booted OK but still had cx88_blackbird drivers rather than
cx88_dvb.  Aaaaagh!

I did a Google and noticed this on a blog

"Might need to comment out refs to dbv_blackbird in
/lib/modules/2.6.11-dvb/
modules.alias, modules.pcimap if cx88_blackbird loads rather than
cx88_dvb"

It was actually /lib/modules/$kernel_ver/modules.xxx but tried this
...and... correct drivers!

>From comments it seems like the Nova-T 90002 drivers are built into the
latest FC4 kernel so I suspect that if I hacked modules.alias and
modules.pcimap on this then it might work out-of-the-box.  Bl**dy Nova-T
card!  Surely it wouldn't hurt Hauppauge too much to help a bit with the
kernel drivers.

I recompiled the scan and tzap utilities but they still didn't work.
Having read around, it seems you need to provide a uk-xxxxxxxx file so I
found a uk-WinterHill one on the net

http://linux.mikeasoft.com/dvb/scan/uk-WinterHill

Having done all of that and running scan it found all the Freeview
channels!

I now need to follow Jarod's guide

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/printer-friendly.php?SID&expandables=open&ivt
v=open&pvr350out=open

This one is good as well
http://www.ethics-gradient.net/myth/mythdvb2.html

and install all of the multimedia stuff from ATrpms
(http://www.atrpms.net/ ) but I guess I'm nearly there

Once I've done all that then I need to setup my MediaMVP with Linux

http://mvpmc.sourceforge.net/idx.php?pg=main

I still haven't decided between

MythTV (http://www.mythtv.org ) and
VDR (http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/index.htm )

as they both have strengths and weaknesses.  The MediaMVP integration is
better for VDR

http://vdr-mediamvp.sourceforge.net/

but VDR is not as good for other media (rather than video).  I suspect I
might go for MythTV as there are signs of this becoming the de-facto
media centre for Linux.

now. :)

John Cockroft
Unisys Ltd
UK Banking
Enterprise Transformation Services

eMail (External): john.cockroft at gb.unisys.com
Office (Altrincham - External): +44 (0)161 385 5035
Office (Altrincham - Net2): 8 743 5035
Mobile (External): +44 (0)7808 392100
Mobile (Net2): 839 2100
and its attachments from all computers.