[SC.LUG] GRUB Bootloader and 'MS Windows'

Cockroft, John John.Cockroft at GB.Unisys.com
Tue Jul 26 13:03:19 BST 2005

I too have multi-boot systems as unfortunately my work/development PCs
are all Windows based.  One useful disk structure I found was to have 4
partitions.  This is an example build on a laptop with a 40Gb hard drive
and 1Gb of RAM

1) XP (C: System), Linux (/dev/hda1 as /mnt/windows RO) - NTFS (16Gb)
2) XP (D: Documents), Linux (/dev/hda2 as /mnt/documents RW) - FAT32
(6Gb)
3) Linux (/dev/hda3) - EXT3 (16Gb)
4) Linux (/dev/hda4) - Swap (2Gb)

(All partitions are primary)

I set "My Documents" in Windows to point to D:\ (which is FAT32 based)
and put a symbolic link under my /home/xxxxx (ln -s /mnt/documents
documents)

I use GRUB to dual boot between the two system although I did use NTLDR
in the past.  Yes I know that I should have a separate /home but if you
rebuild then usually your .xxx files and directories need changing
anyway!

This means:

1) Document files are full read/write from both Windows and Linux.
2) Linux has read-only access to the Windows system partition.
3) Windows has read-only access to the EXT3 partition by using
Explore2fs
4) You can rebuild either Windows or Linux without affecting the rest of
the system or the documents.