GNU old laptops [was Re: [SC.LUG] Re: next meeting]

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Sun May 22 21:14:39 BST 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 07:58 +0100, Jason Lucas wrote:
> > Okay, I could cover low-resource GNU/Linux generally :-)
> >
> > I'll work out a date and fix up the meeting.
> Richard, I would be interested in low-resource GNU/Linux. I'm not
> exactly running the most up-to-date kit here!

Hey, I've just bought a 10-year-old butterfly Thinkpad :-)

It runs cribbage and asciijump just fine (not to mention browsing
with w3m, e-mail with mutt, writing with jed and ted, etc....  ;^)

> > Thinkpad 701C GNU/Linux and OS/2
> > Thinkpad 570  GNU/Linux, GNU/Hurd, and Haiku (OpenBeOS)
> > Thinkpad 560  GNU/Linux and Plan9
> > Thinkpad 760E GNU/Linux and FREEDOS
> >
> > Re-conditioned IBM Thinkpads for sale ;-)
> >
> Prices?

In keeping with the "we allow mild advertising of local
Free Software services on this list but let's not push
it too far" policy we vaguely have I'll just say that
I have some older Thinkpads configured with Debian unstable(1)
and home, office and/or kids' software for circa GBP100-120
with network card and PSU atm, and newer models (PII, USB,
more RAM) at around GBP200.

Feel free to email me off-list for more info. I'll have a
website up in a few weeks - I'm just too behind with my
OU work atm to do this too actively for a week or two :-/

 - Richard

(1) or Debian testing.

--
"The user-friendly computer is a red herring. The user-friendliness
of a book just makes it easier to turn pages. There's nothing