[SC.LUG] USB DSL Modems

Simeon W Farrington sub_mail at farrin.org.uk
Tue Nov 1 19:01:33 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 12:37 +0000, Gareth Bowker wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 12:07 +0000, Dave Briggs wrote:
> > I currently connect my windows laptop to the interweb using Tiscali broadband,
> > with a Sagem USB DSL modem.
> [snip]
>
> >  - What are the alternatives?
>
> If you're willing to spend a little money, I can highly recommend the
> Netgear DG834 series of ADSL modems (there's a wired and a wifi
> version). They run a Linux kernel and the latest firmware does
> everything I've needed it to, including setting up VPNs. They're
> reasonably-priced too.

Can I sing the praises of Netgear DG834s as well. Really good things.

I have to admit I've wimped out and got the wired connection to the
linux-box but maybe I'll try to get the wireless link working in due
course (my usb box is apparently linux friendly......).

As for set up, it's a doddle if you've already enabled a network card in
your machine. You just plug that into the router via Cat5 cable and the
router into the microfilter on the phone line. If you've got the
linuxbox listening for it's net address with DHCP it just connects.

The setup on the routers is easy via a web interface which asks you all
the questions it needs to connect when you first set it up.

Having used a router, I'd never switch to a direct modem, more because
the NAT is automatically provided(if you want it) which gives you a bit
of basic security at the outset. Anything else is additional rather than
the only hole-covering :)

Simeon