[SC.LUG] Converting text files

Dave Briggs linux at davebriggs.net
Tue Oct 25 15:18:35 BST 2005

Quoting Geoff <geoff at osbaldestin.net>:

> John Southern wrote:
>
> >On Friday 21 October 2005 12:03, Dave Briggs wrote:
> >

> >>Does anyone know of a quick way to make Project Gutenberg text files
> >>actually readable?
> >Downloading the html files would probably be the quickest way to achieve
> what you want as already stated.

Obviously this isn't always available - and of course in the case of the one I
want, it wasn't!

Thanks for all the hints. Quite apart from the technical exercise of how it
could be done (which, as someone who doesn't kno anything about Perl at all, I
find really interesting) I found the following command line tool which seems to
do this, though I am yet to try it myself:
http://www.sandroid.org/GutenMark/index.html

--
Dave Briggs
linux at davebriggs.net | http://davebriggs.net | http://palimpsest.org.uk