[SC.LUG] RE: SC Digest, Vol 98, Issue 4 Guttenburg texts

Michael A Orton michael_orton at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 19:30:54 BST 2005

Getting Guttenburg Textx and turning them into proctically anything!
I just tried it myself.
I did it on a large novel by somebody... I deleted it afterwards, it was
just the first large work that I grabbed.
I found no problem.
In SuSe Linux 9.3 pro using Opera ( I downloaded the free opera 8.5 rpm and
installed it with Yast2)
Open site with Opera browser.... very useful as it also works in 98se and
XP versions as well as Linux.
Save As..... rtf or txt, or htm whatever you want to any place.
Open with Open Office.
Do any editing that you want, then
Save it as MS Doc, Native OO, Mac, OO has a very long list under Save As.....

or Export as pdf.....

A thing that MS Office can't do without free non MS add-ons! (Cutepdf "printer")
This will give you an Acobat file.

So your Guttenburg page can end up as MS, Mac, Acrobat, rtf (even 1989 dos
programs can use this.e.g.First Chioce!)
If there are graphics that you want to get..... much the same but use GIMP....
note that there is a version of GIMP, also FREE that works in 95-XP.

Mike Orton., CSci., CPhys., MInstP., MSRP., DCT(Batt). PGCE(Wales).
All outgoing mail checked using FRISK's FP-win
with daily updates.

Unlimited Tiscali Broadband from 14.99!