[SC.LUG] DVD fun

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Thu Jan 5 22:21:27 GMT 2006

On Thursday 05 January 2006 13:55, Simeon W Farrington wrote:
> Hi all
>
> a question if I may that isn't relating to cdrecord.......
>
> Having mixed success watching DVDs on my debian sarge system. I've got
> the libdvdcss2 files unpacked but I have one DVD (the rather excellent
> Bagpuss DVD :) ) which works fine and another music DVD which crashes
> out of ogle and xine/kaffeine with this error:
>
> OGLE
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
> libdvdread: Can't seek to block 2486684
> libdvdread: DVDDiscId read returned 0 bytes, wanted 18432
> libdvdread: Can't seek to block 3401214
> libdvdread: Invalid IFO for title 8 (VTS_08_0.IFO).
> FATAL[ogle_nav]: ifoOpenVTSI failed
>

> KAFFEINE
> libdvdread: Can't seek to block 3401214
> libdvdread: Invalid IFO for title 8 (VTS_08_0.IFO).
> libdvdnav: ifoOpenVTSI failed
> libdvdnav: *** pgci_ut handle is NULL ***
>

> Using MPlayer, the main concert film (ie the main feature) plays fine
> but I can't (work out?) access to the other features on the disc
>
> Without going off and trying a few more encrypted discs does anyone have
> any suggestions to either view the other things using MPlayer or to get
> the GUI programs to operate with the menus so I can access the other
> features?
>
> Ta
>
> Simeon

Hi,

Probably completely unrelated but I have had similar problems when the region
code is unset on a DVD drive (some drives are factory shipped like this).  If
this is the case there is a util in Debain to set it easily.  Can't remember
what it is called but it is quite logical and easy to find in APT.

Regards
Andrew

--
Andrew Hutchings (A-Wing) - Linux Guru